In this crazy time, where there’s a lot of uncertainty, and perhaps a lot of time to ourselves with “social distancing,” we want to help alleviate some of the uneasiness you may be feeling. So we’ve rounded up 10 great tips–all things you can do today, right now!–to help you re-center yourself, take control of the things you can, and maintain (or regain) a positive mindset to help you get through this and future challenges you may face.
Stay safe, be careful out there, and be sure to continue celebrating life and injecting fun wherever possible!
Ten Ways to Maintain Positivity and Regain Control
- Move your body – it can improve your mood and help combat anxiety. If you haven’t experience the magical impact that going for a walk or run, jumping around, or dancing it out can have on lifting your mood and mindset, try it out! For some uninhibited inspiration, check out my launch day crazy dance party with my kiddos last fall:
- Consume positivity – curate the media you consume by a) not over-consuming the news, and b) making sure you’re reading, listening to, and watching messages of positivity. I love Instagram for this, and TikTok has been keeping a lot of my friends entertained and happy. Check out a few of my personal favorite go-to sources of positivity on Instagram:
- Get outside – soak up some sunshine, even if it’s hiding behind clouds! Connecting with nature is proven to positively impact our mood. Even just standing outside your home and getting fresh air can help.
- Focus on gratitude – If you don’t already have a daily gratitude practice, I highly recommend it. Each day, write down 3-5 small things you are grateful for in a journal. Our family takes a few minutes at dinner time each night to share what we are grateful for.
- Eat healthy & drink lots of water – I know, it can be so easy to chow down on not-so-healthy snacks, but make sure you are getting your veggies and protein in to take care of your body.
- Meditate – Take a few minutes to just calm your mind, whether it’s a simple breathing exercise listening to some guided meditation, sitting for a few moments in positive prayer, or taking a long bubble bath–whatever relaxes you and nourishes your soul.
- Listen to uplifting music – whatever makes you happy!
- Be silly – Play, have fun, look up #dadjokes on the internet… just laugh! One thing my husband and I used to love to do that always had us laughing was to take turns “mirroring” each other’s singing, a la Garth and Kat from Saturday Night Live circa 2013. (Dave and Rachel Hollis did it this morning on their Start Today “show,” which reminded me how much fun it is. Check out the first minute of this video for some silly inspo.)
- Do something kind for someone else – offer to get groceries for an elderly neighbor, check in on a friend who lives in an isolated area to see if there’s something they need sent to them that’s available in your area, make a donation to help those who are suffering deeply. (I’m a little hesitant to share this religious-affiliated source, but it is a really great list for anyone who is looking for ways to help their community.)
- Use retail therapy – If your finances are not impacted and you can afford it, support the local or national economy by buying something for yourself, your home, or a friend or family member. It can be something needed, wanted, or just something that sparks joy!
What are you going to do today to stay positive or help someone who needs it? What other ideas do you have that help you stay sane and focused on joy in tough times like these? Let us know in the comments!